Monday, July 28, 2014

My loss of Polly

Polly died on 22 April 2014 of Liver and Spleen cancer. This was only recently diagnosed but clearly she must have had it for some time prior to her death.

This was over Easter and she was very ill the evening before she died. 

This is my girl.

Pollyanna Sue Sweetheart my Darling, Honey bunch, Puddin Pie, marmite and toast, cheese and wine aren't I glad that your are mine.

She has a slight underbite and from this photo I think she has been hidden a bone in the back yard. She loved to do that and then bring them out to enjoy when I was sitting with friends outdoors have a glass of wine. The bones would stink but she really enjoyed them.

I still miss her. She got on well with the cat (Penny) and they would both enjoy a race from the front door into the house, usually with the cat jumping over Polly as she lead the race. This is a rare photo of them sleeping together. I wouldn't be ok to show this if they were awake.


Polly and Penny sleeping in my bed

Penny also enjoyed hiding behind bushes and furniture to wait until Polly went past and then jump out like a mad thing. Polly usually just kept on walking, rarely gave Penny any satisfaction from the game.

Penny

I retired in April 2007 just before I turned 59 on April 22. I had a very busy job and gave a lot to the role I had so on retirement things changed greatly.

I had planned on getting a dog or cat on retirement recognising I really could not fully care of an animal whilst working over 40 hours a week.

Penny was the first purchase. I had just been diagnosed with breast cancer shortly after retiring. I didn't anticipate any problems with the diagnosis and treatment, expectations were that it would be resolved quickly as they had picked it up early. I felt extremely lucky. I found Penny in the Newcastle Herald for $150 desexed. She was one year old. I took her immediately. She is a burmese tortoise shell and really beautiful and unusual. She was to be a house cat but that didn't work out. 

Now I had Penny I also wanted a dog and again searched in the Herald for a dog. There was this maltese cross to a good home for free. I visited and this little bundle of energy greeted me on entering the house. They liked me and it was agreed I would collect her after surgery in a day or two. I anticipated an overnight stay. 

At that time her name was Roxy and I collected her after I was home for a day. I had to change her name - Roxy isn't a name I like and Polly suited much better.

I had a family - Polly quickly became comfortable in the house and yard loving sitting out the front to watch and bark as people went by. The front deck was her favourite place.









No comments:

Post a Comment